Re: Call for a new DPL mediation ... This will be the only thread i will reply to in the next time about this issue.

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 23:32 -0500, Ean Schuessler wrote:
> Social politics creeping into Debian is one of the greater mortal
> dangers that we face.

I surely hope not. Your mail suggests that someone who has severe social
problems but is technically competent is per definition fit as a
developer. I don't know the details of Sven, but I know of a lot of
situations where someone's social interactions severely hamper the
technical achievements of other members of a team.

Such examples I've seen (not necessarily with Sven, to be clear) include
contiuous destructive feedback on others, constant promises to do work
but not actually doing it, taking criticism personally, only accepting
'your way' as a possiblie solution, not being able to compromise, lying
to other team members. I've seen all these in practice, and however
technically capable someone might be, these kind of characteristics
destroy the production of other team members, especially volunteers.

> If Sven makes genuinely important technical
> contributions to the PPC installer and is being excluded for purely
> social reasons then we should take that very seriously.

Purely social reasons can be a very good reason to have someone leave a
team. What matters is what the reasons are and if they are justified,
not whether they are technical or social. And to be honest, those
reasons have now passed over and over.

Thijs