Re: Donations

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 03:35:26PM +0200, Thijs Kinkhorst wrote:
> Hello Wouter,
> On Sat, 2006-06-10 at 12:45 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Perhaps a formulation like
> >
> > 	Since Debian has no authority to hold money or property, any
> > 	monetary donations for the Debian Project must be made to an
> > 	organization that has been vetted by the DPL to be allowed to
> > 	handle such things in name of the Debian project, where no more
> > 	than one such organization shall be vetted per country.
> >
> > 	Any property in hardware, trademarks, or in copyright will be
> > 	handled by SPI, which is our legal umbrella organization in the
> > 	U.S.
> >
> > might work. This would avoid having to update the constitution every
> > time someone wants to create a new organization.
>
> I wonder why you open up the possibility for other organisations to keep
> money for Debian, but do not allow these organisations to have any
> non-monetary property for Debian.

Mainly because SPI was set up by Debian to be more than just a wallet;
they also cooperate with lawyers to do legal counseling, and are
officially our legal umbrella organization.

Other such organizations would not necessarily have the same; and I
don't think it's going to be problematic to have money owned by one
organization but hardware by another.

Not sure, though; perhaps this might require information from other
people.

> I know of no good reason now why an organisation other than SPI would
> want to hold e.g. hardware for Debian, but I also do not see a clear
> drawback - if we trust them with money we can trust them with servers
> aswell. I'd keep the possibility open to have such approved
> organisations hold other property since there might be a reason to do so
> in the future which we're now unaware of.
>
> It also keeps the constitution simple: no special casing, the list would
> contain organisations that Debian trusts to keep things (monetary and
> other) in its name.

Just for clarity, I'm not going to support maintaining a list as part of
the constitution; such a list should be outside of it.

--
Fun will now commence