Re: Private copies of list replies (Was: Re: buildd and experimental)

Brian M. Carlson wrote:

> Mutt has several different reply options, some of them may be more
> appropriate than others.  Anyway, it does not matter: the Debian Mailing
> List Code of Conduct *explicitly* says:
>
>   When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon
>   copy (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be
>   copied.
>
> As the sender, it is your job to comply with that, not mine as the
> recipient[0].

As the sender, it is your job to communicate this effectively. Relying
upon headers that you are not in your control over is a poor way to
attempt to communicate this. Majordomo understood this, and had all
mailing list commands be set in the *body*, the only part that was under
control of the sender.

If you use a header that is commonly not seen by a mailer, such as
that will similarly probably end in dissapointment.

In the signature would probably be poor, as the lowlighting would hide
it, and who really reads the signatures, anyway? The best place is
probably right before the signature. A simple one line things: Please cc
me, I am not subscribed to the list.

I speak from my own personal experience. I keep my mailer set to show me
no headers whatsoever. I get the information I need most of the time
from the index. This includes From:, Subject:, and Date:. That is it.
When I did have my mailer show me headers, that was all I had it show
anyway. I never look at X- headers, nor *Spam* headers. They are
completely uninteresting.

I will happily comply with wishes, but they have to be communicated
in a way I can understand. I don't think I am alone in this, either.

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((