Re: Information abount packages.d.o and experimental

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 02:47:05AM +0100, Jeroen van Wolffelaar wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 10:45:52AM +0100, Noèl Köthe wrote:
>> is it possible to get information about the problem with packages.d.o

> packages.debian.org was disabled because the load of the machine hosting
> it, saens.debian.org, which also is our only ftp.debian.org at the
> moment, rose to 141.32, 135.82, 135.71, as on January 4th, due to
> amongst others a cron job from packages.debian.org started in 2005 still
> running -- and probably more. packages.debian.org was already very slow
> for days, as multiple people noticed on IRC.

> Therefore all nonstatic pages were disabled by DSA to keep saens,
> and hence ftp.debian.org, working. The maintainer of it is informed,
> I don't know the further status of it.

The static pages on e.g. http://packages.debian.org/unstable/ are
still there and getting out of date, which misinforms people not
intimately up to date with Debian news (and breakage-of-the-day) and
which got there through Google or other deep links. (Like "I checked
just this morning and $VERSION of $PACKAGE hasn't entered Debian sid
yet" while it has days ago.)

Please remove these pages completely, or add a conspicuous
header/footer saying it is info as of $DATE or do something else
reasonable.

You may want to put a pointer to http://packages.qa.debian.org or
http://qa.debian.org/developer.php instead, which provides part of the
information packages.debian.org used to.

Thanks in advance,

--
Lionel