Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

Matthew Palmer writes ("Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]"):
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 10:50:54AM -0200, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > It irritates us all.  But I'd rather have substandard patches submitted
> > (just don't expect me to not go medieval on anyone adding a [patch] tag to
> > something that is clearly crap) than losing the good ones along with the
> > substandard filth.
>
> I think we're talking about different things.  I was referring to the often
> brutal manner in which packages are modified to fit a quick need within
> Ubuntu.  Whether or not those hacks then propagate back to the Debian BTS is
> a whole other matter.

I think it would be fair to say that the changes made by Ubuntu
developers eg to get the release out on time are, as you say,
sometimes brutal.  Debian has a different approach, of course.

But that's not to say that an Ubuntu developer can't write to the BTS
and say `I have found this problem XYZ which appears to be in your
package too but unfortunately we don't have time to make a proper fix.
For your information, please find attached our ghastly hack which we
hope will not break too many other things, but I don't suggest you
actually apply it to the Debian package'.  I have done this and not
had complaints from the relevant DDs.

Another useful kind of contribution is `I have found a problem which
seems to be be related to this bug; we don't have a fix but some
relevant information seems to be at <Ubuntu bugzilla URL> and
<Upstream bug tracker URL>.  If I find a way to improve the situation
I'll let you know'.

Ian.