Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

Hello,

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 12:55:45PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > They could just as well do their changes directly in the debian archive, and
> > have the ubuntu guys only recompile, or maintain the ubuntu-specific patches
> > which should *not* go into debian. That is provided the debian maintainer is
> > not an **** and refuses the patches out of sheer stuborness and
> > package-tirany, but this is a debian problem which needs his solution
> > independently of the above.
> I really didn't get this proposal, please elaborate on that (perhaps
> in private mail, if it gets too off-topic for -project). Without
> really understanding what you suggest, I doubt that it will be
> practicable, because it takes significantly more time to submit to
> debbugs, wait for the DD to prepare an upload and get it synced back
> than just uploading it to the ubuntu archive and have it on the
> mirrors a few hours later. For the moment, I rather consider doing
> both (submitting to bts and uploading to ubuntu) be the most practical
> approach. If the debian package accepts all our patches, we can
> eventually sync again.

Sure, if you continue to consider that you are outside of Debian, you will
encounter that situation quite regularly. But in more and more cases, you
can go as far as applying the patch yourself because you can join the
relevant Debian packaging team even without being a Debian developer.

I really believe that this is the only viable way for Ubuntu to continue
having a manageable "universe". Of course, all of this would be much
facilitated if all packages in Debian were already maintained in team
on a central VCS.

And here we come back to my current proposal:
http://wiki.debian.org/CollaborativeMaintenance

:-)

> > The real problem is that many of those ubuntu-not-officially-supported
> > packages ahve never even heard of debian, and contributing back doesn't come
> > naturally to them, the issue is less with those maintainers ubuntu subverted
> > from debian, altough they may be hit by lack of time, which is an issue better
> > handled by doing the modification in debian and not ubuntu though, but may be
> > counter-productive to maintaining a separate ubuntu facade or whatever :)
>
> Sorry, I could not parse this sentence. I assume this is another
> accusation to either universe packages or MOTU in general.

He said that: since most Canonical employees come from Debian, they
regularly contribute back. However since most MOTU are not Debian
developers and do not necessarily have the same Debian background, it's
less frequent for MOTU to contribute back.

I don't know if this is true, but I'm sure that we have to find a way for
MOTU to contribute back to Debian because otherwise MOTU will be quickly
overwhelmed with the maintenance nightmare...

Even a new upstream version can be uploaded both to Debian and Ubuntu at
the same time (in most cases, even if it may require the use of
experimental).

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog -+- http://www.ouaza.com

Freexian : des développeurs Debian au service des entreprises
http://www.freexian.com