Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > OTOH, I've seen a number of ubuntu patches which were blatantly wrong,
> > where the maintainer clearly didn't grok the package they were changing.
>
> *This* irritates me mightily.  The reason, as given by a MOTU when I asked

It irritates us all.  But I'd rather have substandard patches submitted
(just don't expect me to not go medieval on anyone adding a [patch] tag to
something that is clearly crap) than losing the good ones along with the
substandard filth.

I'd say a good rule of thumb for someone submitting patches that they know
are a lot less than perfect is:

  1. don't add the patch tag.  That tag is usually perceived as "you need
     only apply the attached patch to fix the bug", and half-baked crap does
     not deserve that tag in Debian.

  2. explain the problem and say "we have applied the following workaround
     in the meantime", and then attach the patch.

I fail to see why anyone would get pissed at a bug report that followed the
above points.

  Henrique Holschuh