Re: Ubuntu/Debian cooperation [was: Complaint about #debian operator]

On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 11:28:39AM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 04:17:32 +0100
> Michael Banck <mbanck@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 01:06:51PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > > There's "I screwed up because I made a mistake", and there's "I
> > > screwed up because I don't actually know what I'm doing", but "I
> > > screwed up because I didn't care about doing a quality job" is on a
> > > whole other level.
> >
> > I have much sympathies for the two-dozen-odd MOTUs which are supposed
> > to maintain the 10000-odd packages in universe without much help in
> > order to make the whole distribution shine - we should cut them some
> > slack, IMHO.
>
> Why?
>
> It is their choice to fork with (possibly) too small manpower to keep
> up.

They could just as well do their changes directly in the debian archive, and
have the ubuntu guys only recompile, or maintain the ubuntu-specific patches
which should *not* go into debian. That is provided the debian maintainer is
not an **** and refuses the patches out of sheer stuborness and
package-tirany, but this is a debian problem which needs his solution
independently of the above.

The real problem is that many of those ubuntu-not-officially-supported
packages ahve never even heard of debian, and contributing back doesn't come
naturally to them, the issue is less with those maintainers ubuntu subverted
from debian, altough they may be hit by lack of time, which is an issue better
handled by doing the modification in debian and not ubuntu though, but may be
counter-productive to maintaining a separate ubuntu facade or whatever :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther