Re: Debian on one dvd?

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" <jaldhar@debian.org> wrote in message [🔎] Pine.LNX.4.63.0512140942570.7376@localhost.localdomain">news:[🔎] Pine.LNX.4.63.0512140942570.7376@localhost.localdomain...
On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Steve Langasek wrote:

Why not just use the stock DVD 1 image? As always, packages are sorted on
the disk images according to criteria like package priority and popcon
numbers, so probably ought to be 99% or more of the packages that 99% of the
users will need.

Unless there are specific packages missing from disk 1 that you know are
needed for this market, the stock ISO seems like it would be fine.

well there is that. The Indian fonts and things seem to be on DVD 2. Also the stock image does not include source code correct? Then how do we meet the conditions of the GPL? I don't think the written offer option is feasible for the publishers (though I'll ask to make sure.)

It is probably legal for them to hire somebody/something else to send source cds on request. Then they just have the message give the adress of the other entity. Note that the magazine would still be legal responsable for ensuring that the discs are shipped, so the entity that ships the sources would need to be under contract. Also note that some software may be under a licence that does not allow this form of distribution.

Let us assume for now that sources are ot an issue.
Most archs fit on 2 dvds, so a single double sided disk would work fine, as long as people can understand the names disk one and disk two refer to different sides, and can figure out which side is which.

Anyway perhaps the best solution (if possible, I assume these are pressed disks, not burned disks) is a double sided dual-layer disk. One side would have (nearly all) the packages from disks 1 and 2, and the other side would have (the same nearly all) the sources.
However, such disks are expensive.