Re: Complaint about #debian operator

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net>
> > Have you been in the channel? I've never ever seen you in there.
> > You obviously haven't put in that much time answering questions.
> > http://debstats.dontexist.org/ doesn't have you on the list, so
> > you can't have been that active in actually doing the work.
>
> Nonwithstanding the merits or lack of same of Martin's point, I'm
> intrigued by the suggestion that one needs to be among the top 50
> posters in order to have a reasonable [1] idea of what usually goes
> on in the channel. Is that really what you mean?

What goes on in the channel can be discerned by reading the logs, or
just lurking. However, being "active in actually doing the work"
requires participating, and that pretty much means that you're going
to show up on the top 50 (or at least in the "didn't make it to the
top") if you're actually actively involved in helping people on
#debian.

Don Armstrong

--
Q: What Can a Thoughtful Man Hope for Mankind on Earth, Given the
Experience of the Past Million Years?