Re: Debian's task system and the desktop (was: Complaint about #debian operator)

also sprach Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2005.12.12.2241 +0100]:
> Yes, the Debian installer does a lot of things during the
> installation of Debian with the desktop task that you will not get
> if you just install packages with apt. One example is that our
> X needs read-edid and mdetect to be installed before it is even
> preconfigured for hardware detection to work properly.

I think I remember seeing both of these packages get installed in
phase 2, even though I chose no tasks whatsoever. Could this be?

Could you point me to the code in d-i that does special stuff when
the desktop task is selected? http://svn.debian.org takes 40 seconds
to load a page at the moment, and svn+ssh://svn.debian.org times
out.

Thanks,

`. `'`

Invalid/expired PGP (sub)keys? Use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

"a cigarette is the perfect type of pleasure.
 it is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied."
                                                        -- oscar wilde