Re: Debian's task system and the desktop (was: Complaint about #debian operator)

martin f krafft wrote:
> Personal attacks aside, would you mind sharing what I missed? Does
> the desktop task do anything more than pull in some packages and let
> them configure themselves? Will my experience differ if I install
> the desktop task, or `apt-get install x-window-system kde gnome`
> directly? How?

Yes, the Debian installer does a lot of things during the installation
of Debian with the desktop task that you will not get if you just
install packages with apt. One example is that our X needs read-edid
and mdetect to be installed before it is even preconfigured for hardware
detection to work properly.

--
see shy jo