Re: Complaint about #debian operator

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> Because the quality of information there won't be much better than in
> Debian-forums -- people are biased. I've witnessed quite some polemic
> talk by Ubuntu users advocating their distro, somewhat reminiscent of
> what I would have assumed to hear by Gentoo folks.

If you make it a goal in life to try to ensure people get balanced
advocacy information, you're going to be spending an awful lot of time
working on that and won't have much time left over for actually improving
the stuff that you're advocating.

People who go to IRC and ask advocacy questions are fairly unlikely to get
high-quality information no matter where you send them.  At best, they'll
end up sparking another one of these interminable discussions like the one
that this thread just kicked off and maybe they'll be able to get a few
facts out of all of the back and forth.

> What if users are seeking a balanced account and thus consult with both
> sides?

In the list of effective ways to get good information, this is way down
there after trying both yourself, reading web pages, or asking local Linux
users in person (where even if you get a similar low quality of initial
information, they can at least *show* you the differences).