Re: Non-DDs as official Debian package maintainers

"Adam D. Barratt" <lists-debian-project@adam-barratt.org.uk>
> On Thursday, September 22, 2005 8:36 AM, MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > No, you find the package's control file and look at the Uploader.
> > packages.qa.debian.org shows this in "Co-maintainers" at present,
> > for some reason.
>
> Erm... because that's how policy defines the field. Section 5.6.3 -
> http://www.us.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html#s-f-Uploaders -
> to be precise.

If you want to be precise, you should note that policy defines it
as co-maintaintainers... (Known bug#321790)  p.qa.d.o could label
the field "Uploaders" if it wants to follow policy tightly.

Sponsorship doesn't exist in policy, as far as I can tell.

> Uploaders lists addresses which are not the address listed in Maintainer:
> but from which uploads should not be considered NMUs. [...]

That's my understanding, but it doesn't necessarily mean
the package is co-maintained. If you don't want sponsored
uploads to be considered NMUs, but you want to follow the
developers-reference, this should be the field for sponsors.

  "The Maintainer field of the control file and the changelog should
   list the person who did the packaging, i.e., the sponsoree."
   (part of s7.5.2 in developers reference)

Hope that explains it,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/