Re: Debian UK

Simon Huggins <huggie@earth.li> wrote:
> It's just a more formal, more accountable situation than what was
> happening before when Steve shoved Debian money into a shoebox under his
> bed.

Is it any more accountable to hold an AGM if you belittle the
idea of using it as an AGM? No, that's a sham. Lest you forget,
I dislike bureaucracy, but I also know some of the implications
of participating in voluntary organisations because I've been
doing it for years. GMs are a necessary part of accountability.

(There's also the problem of DUS not solving well the problem of
Steve getting hit by a bus, but that's not this discussion now.)

> It's not there as an evil overlord "business" and participants on
> debian-uk are bored silly explaining this over and over.  Still Mark [0]
> persists in grinding his axe.  Hell he's even said he's going to on this
> list: ``c. I slowly work through "Not In Our Name"-style tactics.''

The other options work if DUS stops asserting involuntary membership.

[...]
> I don't understand why Mark is so against this promotion of Debian,
> funding of some Debian related trips and yes, occasionally bits of
> sustenance by way of thanks for hard working people manning an expo
> stand. [...]

The promotion of Debian is most welcome. The potential for harm
to the Debian name and waste of raised funds is there too. Will
you only promote debian if you can trade as "Debian-UK"?

> Nothing here is going to hurt Debian; [...]

You can predict the future now?

> How MJ Ray can kick up so much fuss about this and still claim to be
> working for Debian and Free Software is beyond me.

If this episode makes anyone actually seek good advice *BEFORE*
setting up a free software volunteer organisation, then it will
have been worth it, in my opinion. I just wish DUS had. It's
not like there's any shortage of good examples available. Even
if we're voluntary, there's no excuse for being sloppy.

Thanks,
--
MJR/slef