spi-trademark status, was: "Why" Debian Core Consortium ? Why not UserLinux? Why not Debian?

Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> The SPI trademark committee[3] still exists and still needs support from
> Debian's Developers, all of whom are automatically eligible for SPI
> membership[4] and can sign up to join its mailing list.  Mako Hill and Greg
> Pomerantz are making progress, particularly of late, but I'm sure they
> wouldn't mind some more eyes and hands involved in the work.
[...]
> [3] http://lists.spi-inc.org/cgi-bin/listinfo/spi-trademark
> [4] http://www.spi-inc.org/membershipguidelines

It's far from clear to new members what has been done and what
needs doing now. The list doesn't feel actively led. Here's a
summary of what I found from charter, kick-off and archives:

  1. Creation of spi-trademark

Charter approved in 2003:
http://www.spi-inc.org/corporate/resolutions/resolution-2003-06-03.bmh.1

Named members:
# Greg Pomerantz, legal counsel
# Bruce Perens
# Benjamin Mako Hill, board liason
# Martin Michlmayer or current DPL, or designate, as Debian representative

Agreed to open to any SPI contributing members and Debian developers.

  2. Pro bono advice

I don't know what happened about this item.

  3. Proposed Committee Activities

    A. Current status of the mark

Mako summarised the debian mark and current policies.
Many questionable uses have been raised and addressed.

    B. Education

I don't know what happened about this item.

    C. Trademark Policy

A general approach to debian logo licensing has been drafted.

  99. Committee Framework Targets

spi-trademark predates SPI's current framework resolution,
so it might not have to meet these targets:
# It has not submitted any annual reports. (!!)
# Alternative membership rules have been agreed. (:-)
# Its membership list is not on the SPI corporate website. (!!)

--- ENDS ---

So, it looks to me like help is most needed with educating about
the debian trademark, drafting the more general trademark policy
and summarising to SPI's board and members. Corrections welcome.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), K. Lynn, England, email see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/