Re: Pledge To Killfile Andrew Suffield

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 10:34:57PM -0700, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> It's one thing to say "the guy's an idiot, I ignore his mails, I
> advise you do likewise."  It's another to say "the guy's a blight on
> the project, I think he'll go away if enough of us ignore him, who
> will pledge with me to killfile him and keep it that way?"  I can't
> say which is closer to the discussion on debian-private, but I think
> the latter is a great deal tackier than the former, whether or not you
> agree to look on it as "censorship through ostracism".

I don't think the point is Suffield's behavior so much as how some people
are easily provoked by him.  I purposely avoided replying to the 'trigger'
thread, (although I did send some choice words asuffield's way on IRC) and
if other people had done the same it probably wouldn't have come to this.

The trolls are only half of the problem with Debian lists.  The other half
of the problem is that many people can't restrain themselves from replying
to comments that are arguably trollish with an equivalent amount of vitriol
(also known as 'feeding the troll').  This is what I see Mako's 'pledge' as
addressing, and that's why I signed it.  It's unfortunate that someone had to
be singled out, but in this case I think it was well deserved.

--Adam
--
Adam McKenna  <adam@debian.org>  <adam@flounder.net>