Re: Why isn't queue/new world-readable?

Hello Steve,

On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 05:38:39PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 12:43:48PM -0400, Joe Smith wrote:
> > Also, Based on another message I read (on this very list IIRC) Debian is
> > used by the government as an example of the propper way to export open
> > source cryptographic software. [...]
>
> Er, please provide a reference; I've never heard anything of the sort, and
> google is no help.

A similar claim was on this list two weeks ago: in
http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2005/07/msg00195.html
Philip Hands writes

    This is because the current export regulations from the USA
    require all crypto software to be notified to the authorities.  It
    seems that when a new package is uploaded, regardless of what it
    might be, we inform them of the package name, and that it may now,
    or in the future, contain crypto.

    This (admittedly silly) procedure has apparently been adopted by
    them as the shining example of how to do it right.

I hope this helps,
Jochen
--
http://seehuhn.de/