Re: Branden's mail policies

On Tuesday June 21 2005 9:12 pm, Craig Sanders wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 19, 2005 at 05:04:32AM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Sunday June 19 2005 3:55 am, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > also sprach Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> [2005.06.19.1242
+0200]:

> > > Get yourself a separate mail provider then. gmx.net, albeit
> > > German, offers SASL-authenticated SMTP access. I am sure others
> > > do too.
> >
> > Why pay someone else to do what I can do myself for free?
>
> because you can't do it yourself for free - at least not on a
> dialup/dynamic IP address.

Sure you can.  Commercial connection, dynamic IP.  You might not have
a choice on a budget.

> why can't you do it yourself? because lots of mail servers block
> all mail from dynamic IP addresses.

Which is stupid and generates false positives.

> regardless of the rights and/or
> wrongs of this, it is THEIR server, so it runs by THEIR rules. you
> have no say in it. get used to that fact.

If they don't want my mail, fine, but they don't get to bitch and tell
me I'm wrong because they don't know how to effectively filter what
they're trying to block while minimizing false positives.  Any scheme
that generates false positives needs to be reworked until it works
right.

> 1. get a static IP address.  this may cost more than a dynamic IP.

And the arrogant attitude that only those with shitloads of cash to
burn are allowed to handle their own services, never mind that one's
economic standing has nothing to do with whether or not they're a
spammer.  I may be on a DHCP block, but that doesn't mean that my IP
has changed for any reason in the last six months save for the one
time I swapped network cards out.

> 2. route your mail via another mail server with a static IP. there
> are dozens of secure ways of achieving this. there may be extra
> costs.

Ironically, it's often these large smarthosts actually relaying spews
from poorly enforced antispam policies in the TOS.

> note that there is no third option of whinging about how your
> rights are being infringed because your dynamic-IP mail is being
> blocked. you do not have ANY right to demand that your mail must be
> accepted by anyone. nobody has that right.

You don't have the right to talk down to people for their inability to
obtain the unobtainable.  You wrongly assume it isn't a valid option
when for many people it's the only option.  Deal.

--
Paul Johnson
Email and Instant Messenger (Jabber): baloo@ursine.ca