Re: sarge and the Wall Street Journal

On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 03:51:41PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> > There was a devel-announce about it as soon as it was discovered.
>
> Additionally, it was sent to debian-cd-vendors@lists.d.o and
> is visible on http://www.debian.org/CD/releases/ - had anyone
> actually had time to download, burn and sell these before the
> notice was sent? (I didn't send mine yet.)

IMHO, there needs to be more explicit communication about this
incident on the web site. Crisis communication should be
explicit about the "problem" and the solution.

Journalists will look at the main web site, the news section,
the security section, but I did not find any information about
version 3.1 rev 0a there ...

The page

  http://www.debian.org/CD/releases/

does mention the whole list of upgrades of stable versions
(up to 3.1 r0a), but the main site, security and news do not
mention it and end at 3.1 r0.

  http://www.debian.org/
  http://www.debian.org/security/
  http://www.debian.org/News/2005/

For reasons of PR, I would suggest to urgently update at least
the main site and the News site with version 3.1 r0a (under News
on the main section). You might also link to a text that correctly
describes our view on what happened and how it was repaired.

This needs to be done fast, so that journalists and other interested
parties that want to follow up on this "news" also get our side
of the story. Otherwise we leave them with only the ZDnet side of
the story.

HTH,

Peter