Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

"R. Armiento" wrote:
> Also, I never really imagined that there would be people counter-arguing
> that the only problem is my moral values, and thus implicitly state that
> to them WebCollage indeed is completely safe-for-work. [...]

I think you're discarding data and extrapolating too far. I can
well believe that debian contains packages not suitable for some
workplaces. (I may think the workplace is barmy, but that's me.)

My reasoning is roughly:
1. how much of a problem is WebCollage? (10% porn finds. ow)
2. is it enabled by default? (apparently not)
3. if not, what user actions are needed to enable it? (disputed)
4. is this a much larger problem than a mail client which
displays graphics from junk email? (seems not)
5. how easy is it to configure away? (looks easy)
6. should it already be impossible in places that care? (yes)
7. should an unconfigured debian main install be "moral" in this way? (YMMV)

> Anyway, just to show that I am at least
> not utterly alone, here are a few googled examples of people who
> apparently share my unreasonable and silly moral values:

That's not a fun line of argument. For example,
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/42491
http://xtremods.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=39360
and so on.

--