Re: Discussion of bug #311683, default kde install shows porn

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:46:48PM +0200, R. Armiento wrote:
> Adeodato Simó wrote:
> >* R. Armiento [Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:02:54 +0200]:
> >>I just want to bring bug #311683 to "public awareness" and
> >>discussion.

> >  1. This is not getting fixed for Sarge, it has been reported too late.
> >     You may want to (try to) convince the Stable Release Manager that
> >     this is really suitable or even necessary for a point release.

> I am really genuinely sorry for 1) reporting this bug so late, 2)
> causing you extra work and cause upstir by posting this to
> debian-project. The reason for posting it to the list was not to put
> pressure on you maintainers, but to as promptly as possible find out if
> people in general felt this to be important enough to warrant taking it
> further (i.e., "the Stable Release Manager"). As seen by the voices on
> the list so far, this seems not to be the case. Again, sorry.

I imagine that much of this reaction is a knee-jerk response to the
suggestion that this bug would be a blocker that delayed the sarge release.

We haven't allowed that to happen, so perhaps people can be a bit more
objective in their consideration of this bug now. :)

While I don't find that this is a bug that would impact me personally (even
if using KDE, which I normally don't), it's certainly been a cause for
concern for many people.  I think it would be appropriate to ask the
question whether this update could be allowed in a point release.  It's not
grounds for delaying the release, because:

- KDE is not the default desktop in sarge, even when installing the desktop
  task
- "Random" is not the default screensaver choice in KDE (AIUI)
- The objectionable content is *not* shipped as part of Debian
- Plenty of other content Debian ships *is* objectionable by one group or
  another...
- This bug isn't an issue on networks that have filtered web access (which
  is true of most work environments where this would be a real problem)

I do believe that it ought be documented in the release notes or in the
sarge errata.  We probably want to word this carefully, though, lest the
documentation do more damage than the bug itself would. ;)

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer