Re: snapshot.debian.net

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 08:39:55AM +0200, Adrian von Bidder wrote:
> On Monday 25 April 2005 08.03, Branden Robinson / Debian Project Leader
> wrote:
> > * establishing a backup site for ``snapshot.debian.net``

> I wonder if snapshot shouldn't be promoted to an official debian.*org*
> service in recognition of its value to the project.

One concern I have, personally, is over precisely how much value
snapshot.d.n provides to the *project*, as opposed to providing value to
others outside the project.  Since DDs have access to recently removed
packages via the morgue on merkel (albeit not indexed nicely the way
snapshot.d.n currently is), I really wonder if this service should be a
priority for Debian to spend money on while our ports and other areas of
core infrastructure are in a state of disarray (IMHO).

I do find snapshot.d.n very helpful from time to time, and am certainly glad
it's there; I don't even think it would be wrong for Debian to spend money
on it; I just think there's just a question here of which hardware should
get priority for funding.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek