Re: Thinking about (mis)use of -private

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 04:38:30PM -0300, Daniel Ruoso wrote:
> I was recently thinking about the misuse of debian-private mailing list,
> and I saw that most of the bad-uses of -private were made with the
> intention of reaching all developers.

> Is this wrong? Yes, and no. The question is that debian-devel has too
> much traffic and it's difficult to follow all the threads, so often some
> messages are not read by most developers (not by lack of interest, but
> just because the message was not seen because of the traffic on -devel).

> On the other side, d-d-a is a list which has a very low traffic, and
> certainly almost every developer see the posts in d-d-a, but... not
> every email that intends to reach all developers is appropriate to d-d-a
> since it's not allways an announce.

On the contrary, I think a mail intended to reach all developers is the
*definition* of an announcement (wrt d-d-a).

If you think d-d-a is inappropriate, that sounds to me like a sign that you
should more carefully consider who your audience is.  In most cases, I
imagine that's -devel or -project, and only *rarely* would it be -private.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer