Re: Popularity of Debian/Download of packages

On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 02:05:00PM +0000, wish@dumain.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I was wondering how popular Debian is and I thought it should be possible
> to get an estimate for the stable distribution by measuring how often
> the Packages file for the main section is downloaded between updates.
> Since stable is very stable and apt only downloads the file if it is
> updated it should be downloaded approximately once per machine that
> has debian running.  This won't be exact for several reasons but should
> provide a guide.

Prompted by this mail, I looked up this statistic:

| How may times was perl-base (which is essential) 5.6.1-8.8 downloaded
| from security.debian.org between its availability there starting 30
| december and 9.5 days later?

Of course, this is inaccurate due to security.d.o mirrors, both private
and public, people using backports, and of course, people using woody
but not doing a weekly apt-get update && upgrade for security stuff.
These numbers can also be inflated a bit by mirrors downloading the
stuff without needing it for themselves, webcrawlers, etc. As an
interesting datapoint, perl-base 5.6.1-8.7 was downloaded well over 600
times per week in this very timespan, while the security update -8.7
dates from April 2004.

One can only guess at the influence of that, which I will not do here.

The result:

  66170 i386
   1105 powerpc
    789 sparc