Re: Google ads on debian.org

Martin Michlmayr - Debian Project Leader wrote:
> I received the following message from someone at Google:
>
> > Google is interested in advertising on debian.org.  I realize your
> > site currently isn't running any advertising, however what we're
> > proposing is much different, and complimentary to your sites goal.
>
> Normally, I reply to advertising requests on debian.org with a polite
> "no".  However, given that google ads are widely considered different
> to normal ads, and might even enhance a web site, I thought I'd ask on
> -project to see what other people think.

I would voice my objection to it. Do we really need the revenue stream?
Do we need to look like every other starving .com site?

I really think that having a google ad on our site would give the
entirely wrong impression to a visitor. That stated, I am willing to
listen to what they have, especially since they say it is different and
complimentary to our site goals.

--
John H. Robinson, IV          jaqque@debian.org
                                                                 http  ((((