Re: Respect (was Re: Some Comments on Sexism in #debian)

Hi, Nathanael Nerode wrote:

> To get back to something *concrete*, would anyone find it sexist if the
> phrase was "So easy your secretary or your boss could use it"?  This pairs
> a stereotypically male and a sterotypically female profession, both
> stereotypically clueless.

These words are also gender-neutral, so anybody who objects to "secretary"
and/or "boss" on grounds of the words being sexist just shows that they
have their own axe to grind here.

My position is, however, that it's not necessary to resort to
secretary/boss/grandma/whoever stereotypes in the first place.

If we want to make task X possible for people in group Y who typically
don't have background knowledge or experience Z, why not explicitly
mention Z instead of resorting to group Y as an example?

Additonal benefit: People still understand your argument even if their
experience with persons from group Y differs from yours.

--
Matthias Urlichs