Re: Some Comments on Sexism in #debian

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 01:37:20PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:

>     GW> However, I do feel that trying to be politically correct in
>     GW> order never to offend anyone is plain stupid.
>
> How about this:
>
> 1) We act courteous, mature, and professional towards each other.
>
> 2) When representing Debian, we think ahead of time about what image
>    we want to portray.

Fuck that.

> If we work together better, we're more productive and we make a better
> operating system.

Sure, and that's best accomplished by everybody not being a wuss.

Your proposed scenario is "We work together better but we can't get
anything done because we can't talk to each other for fear of
offending somebody".

I find your suggestion that this is something we should be doing to be
fairly offensive, so you've already failed.

I don't want people to say "this might be suboptimal" instead of "this
is crap", because then I won't be able to tell the difference between
things that are crap and things that are suboptimal. I *want* to know
when something is crap, because it needs priority
attention. Everything else follows from there. People who can't call
things by their real names are not useful.

> If we're respectful to our users and potential users, we get _more_
> users, who then help us make a better operating system.

No, we get *more* users, who then waste more of our time. Any
arguments along the lines of "more users are better" are flawed.

I assert that Debian users are more intelligent than the average
person (not difficult; pond life is more intelligent than the average
person). Therefore anything which invites more users evenly from the
population at large can only decrease the average intelligence of a
Debian user, which I consider to be an extremely bad thing. I get far
too much mail from idiot users already.

> That's not "plain stupid". That's common sense.

Common sense is what tells you that the world is flat. It is roughly
equivalent to "plain stupid".

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |