Re: Screw non-free.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:55:23PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:39:50PM +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > A package was built by the maintainer for one architecture.
> > Can I be sure, that the licence allows rebuilding it on another
> > architecture?
>
> Not without reading the license, no. Apparently there've been packages
> like this in the past -- ie, ones that you specifically can't build on
> some architectures. No idea if there are any currently.

A similar example was the xforms widget library.  In that case, it
wasn't that the license didn't allow recompiling, it's that you
*couldn't* recompile because the source wasn't available.

As I recall, xforms got built for ia64 in time for the woody release
because Progeny contacted the authors, and were sent a copy of the
source code to compile it on one of their ia64 machines.

xforms has since been relicensed under the LGPL.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     My first priority in any attack is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     to solve the problem - not issue a