Re: Screw non-free.

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 01:02:54PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:
> Supporting non-free and contrib also complicates all our tools and
> confuses people as to what "Debian" is.

Neither of which is as tangible as the amount of effort necessary to switch,
so you have to understand that there are people who simply disagree with
your assessments.

>     HM> Therefore the net benefit, time-wise, is negative.
>
> The net benefit to Debian-the-project is positive. _Somebody_else_
> deals with the new project, not Debian. That's the whole idea.
>
> Yes, if there are Debian maintainers who want to participate in the
> new project, that's somewhat harder for them. Not walking-across-
> broken-glass hard, but harder than the status quo. It's unfortunate,
> and regrettable. Then again, it's their decision, as you said. Free
> will and all that.

You're treating it like it's "them" and "us", whereas we're all in it
together as it is, and we're all eligible to vote on the matter.
Let's simply carry out this vote on it and define not who's wrong or who's
right, but who's in the majority and whose opinion prevails.

> I'm just asking that you don't use Debian machines and infrastructure to
> do your non-Debian projects.

You've used a debatable definition of "non-Debian projects". Again, let's
simply vote on it and clarify what we as a whole mean.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.