Re: Screw non-free.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:15:02PM -0500, Evan Prodromou wrote:
>     HM> To our users who were used to quality packages from
>     HM> accountable maintainers even if the software wasn't 100%
>     HM> DFSG-compliant: bummer, man.
>
> There appear to be a number of current Debian maintainers who think
> it's important. I'm sure with such a good core group who care about
> providing non-free software to those users, they will be well-served.
>
> I mean, the non-free project maintainers will have some of the best
> Free Software around to make, distribute, and track those packages. I
> think it's going to be a fine, fine project.

I think it's important enough to maintain it in Debian; but the effort
of joining and taking part in another substantially-sized project is
almost certainly more than I have available. The effort-to-benefit ratio
of maintaining my non-free packages in Debian is pretty good.

Be careful not to confuse "we are willing to maintain non-free in
Debian" with "we would take part in non-free.org". They're definitely
not the same thing.