Re: Proposed transition plan for non-free and call for help

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 06:50:05PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> No. You only proposed to start with the debian-keyring, and did not
> promise not to diverge from it in the future. Debian has an NM
> procedure and team which I've grown to trust, but an
> NM-for-non-free.org process would have to gain its own trust.

Well, first of all you'd have to note that all the people who
participated in this non-free effort have been (to my knowledge) also
involved in the Debian NM process. On the other hand, I believe it is
important to let people contribute to non-free without requiring them to
become official DDs, I am not sure Debian should accept people who'd
just do non-free stuff (not talking about the past here).

If the need will arise, I guess we can be pretty certain that there will
be a thourough procedure to check whether people i) are who they claim
to be ii) know how to package stuff up properly, so that it interacts
nicely with the other packages and iii) don't step on other maintainers
feet.

Also note that non-free is about the size the whole of Debian had back
in perhaps '94. A real NM-process was not necessary back then, so I
believe we don't need to clone nm.debian.org verbatim.

Still, having the current NM requirements (modulo the philosophical
stuff) like having a sponsored package in (whatever) archive and an
advocte is a big plus and will make it quite easy to conduct the NM
process for experienced application managers.

What would you propose to be reasonable policies for granting uploading
access to non-free.org, and what should be the requirements? I'd
honestly value your input here.

Michael

--
Michael Banck