Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 12:03:36PM -0800, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:44:24AM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:

> >>[...]
> >>Although I don't flirt with every woman I meet, I do flirt with the
> >>women who interest me. Which has nothing to do with Erinns request that
> >>no male ever flirt with a female on the #debian channel.
> >
> >Erinn made no such request; read your own quote.
>
> You quoted me out of context; the paragraph following said that in an
> environment with 600 males and 5 females, it is inevitable that at
> least 1 male at any given time will be desire to flirt with a female who
> shows an interest in Debian.

They might have desires to do all sorts of things, but in social situations,
it is understood that it is often a bad idea to give in to every impulsive
desire.

> If it is the flirtation that is the problem

My interpretation, which I thought was rather clear from the statement and
its context, was that the problem was not flirtation in general, but with
the associated circumstances and reasoning.  My personal opinion is that
project-related matters should be handled with a certain level of decorum
which does not include flirting with someone in an IRC channel simply
because one notices that they are of the appropriate sex.

Certainly, the kind of harrassment documented here:

http://www.p12n.org/misc/sexism/

is not something that I would consider acceptable, and would hope not to see
this kind of behaviour in a Debian-related forum in which I participate.  If
I did, I would not be inclined to let it pass without comment.

--
 - mdz