Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 02:39:17PM +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> With our underlying culture, I'm not sure if any attempts to change us will
> truly ever succeed in making us the caring, sharing, non-confrontational
> group that will make every person happy to work with us.  Hell, if we become
> non-confrontational, we'll probably lose some of the people who enjoy the
> confrontation - so we still won't be able to claim we're all-inclusive.  <g>

I certainly won't tolerate it. It's fundamentally incompatible with
getting any useful work done. Down that road leads political
correctness (not just the word-substitution form), where you cannot
say something that is true and technically significant because it
might upset somebody.

People cannot usefully participate in a debate unless they grow a
skin, or while they are emotionally attached to an argument. Providing
crutches for them will only make things worse.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |