Re: Just a single Question for the Candidates

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:36:29 -0600
John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 09:05:01PM -0600, David Moreno Garza wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:15:25 -0500
> > Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Perhaps we need to reconsider our official recognition of Freenode's
> > > #debian as a Project resource.
> >
> > Couldn't it be a good idea to form a Debian-specific IRC network? I'm
> > just wondering it, not use FreeNode, but an specific network.
>
> What about OFTC, which already exists, is another SPI project, has a
> democratic process similar to Debian, and seems to generally be run by
> stable people with a clue?

Hehe, this is funny. As a staff member of OFTC, and its current
responsible-person for the IRC network (and indeed, most of the
technical stuff save coding and the web site), and as a Debian Developer
(this one is new :), and as the current "Contact" for #debian (in
irc.freenode.net terms, the "Contact" is the person titularly
responsible for a channel), I'd like to say that I like the idea of
Debian running its own IRC server(s). OFTC would be more than happy to
run the technical stuff for Debian, in addition to providing some staff
to help those Debian-assigned people out in the first while, but there
are definetly some advantages to having a seperate Debian
network/server. I only mention OFTC being willing to run them as some
Debian folk are afraid of Debian running its own. Debian's perfectly
capable of running its own servers should it want it.

--
       Aruing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud.
	    After a while, you realise the pig is enjoying it.