Re: is Debian an anarchist organization/project?

[ As some people have pointed out, this discussion is non-technical,
hence it belongs to debian-project rather than debian-devel where it was
started. ]

On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 10:10:02PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
 GM> Hmmm, good point in theory, i think it happened once to strip power
 GM> from the project leader, i dont think a General Resolution has been
 GM> to a vote in the last 2 years.

Was it so because it was impossible, or because it wasn't necessary? In
my opinion, it was unnecessary precisely because it was possible: when
you know that your decision can be overriden by GR, you just don't make
a decision that you know would be overriden.

 GM> In practice there are a small number of individuals who maintain
 GM> control of debian.... in practice our behaviour is restricted by
 GM> these few.

Elaborate, please, I need evidence to this accusation.

 GM>>> Debian has policy.
 DB>> What's wrong with this?
 GM> I dont say its good or bad, just that its another form of
 GM> centralised control (like DPL and appointed positions), which makes
 GM> debian less anarchistic than the free software community in
 GM> general.

Is TCP/IP standard fascist because its implementations must obey strict
rules? Standard does not imply centralization, only cooperation; it is
control over standard that can be centralized, and in Debian, it isn't.

 GM> Im getting out of my depth.. something about anarchy implying
 GM> freedom and the illusion of freedom given by democracy.

I've got your point, I agree with it in general, but I just want to
point out that Debian provides real democracy, not a representative
illusion.

 GM> Look to policy in considering if we anarchistic, not to our ability
 GM> to choose our leader.

Leadership is not equal to power, and DPL has no power over individual
developers. He hold no property, and wields no means of coercion.

--
Dmitry Borodaenko