Re: RFD: Separate mailing list for users running testing?

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 12:39:32PM +0200, Chris Halls wrote:
> [...]

I thought that was anything but true. But anyway ...

> It may be worth thinking about whether this is a possible way to reduce
> the traffic on debian-user a little.  I for one was a bit confused when I
> first installed debian stable, and quite a lot of the discussion on
> debian-user was not about stable at all, but about people running testing
> or unstable, without mentioning that explicitly.

Yes. Some issues are common, but often the first reply to a question has
to be "what distribution are you running"? Also, more and more people
who reply to questions on debian-user these days are running
testing/unstable, which is perhaps a disservice to stable users.
("Upgrade to unstable" is not always a useful response.)

> So,
>
> 1. Should we create such as list?
>
> 2. What could we call such a list?  Possible suggestions:
>
>   debian-user-testing    (ie a debian-user list for those running testing)
>   debian-testing-user    (ie debian-testing for users instead of developers)
>   debian-user-woody      (it would get out of date to soon..)
>
> My favourite is debian-user-testing, because debian-testing is so low traffic
> that it does not need to be 'split'.  And I think it's a bit more obvious for
> the actual users themselves.

I wouldn't call it any of those, as I think it should apply to unstable
as well. How about -user-unreleased or similar?