Bug#352069: gs: Japanese printing problem
There are problems with Japanese printing through Ghostscript (gs variants
with gs-cjk-resource). These problems turn up with
- moz: printing through PostScript/Default (not xprint) in Mozilla.
- xpdf: printing through xpdf (with Japanese support).
On my system, I tested:
gs-esp, old version (gs-esp_7.07.1-9_i386.deb)
gs-esp, new version (gs-esp_8.15.1.dfsg.1-1_i386.deb)
gs-gpl, old version (gs-gpl_8.01-5_i386.deb)
gs-gpl, new version (gs-gpl_8.15-4.1_i386.deb)
The only one which works at present is gs-esp, old version.
A summary of the results is:
gs-esp, moz ryumin error OK
gs-esp, xpdf ryumin error OK
gs-gpl, moz ryumin error boxes
gs-gpl, xpdf ryumin error rubbish
- "ryumin error" means that when a .ps file is viewed with gv, you get
the dreaded error message which begins
Error: /undefinedresource in --findresource--
F3331_0 0 Ryumin-Light-H Font Ryumin-Light-H (Ryumin-Light-H)
12 Ryumin-Light H H Ryumin-Light Ryumin-Light Ryumin-Light
--nostringval-- (r) --nostringval-- CMap (r) CMap (r)
- "boxes" means that Japanese characters are rendered as open squares.
- "rubbish" means that Japanese text is replaced as rubbish. E.g. in a pdf
file which I wanted to print, the text "戦略" was rendered
as something like "@d!!#\N,I!!!!!".
Using different versions of gs-common (new or old) does not seem to make any
difference. The new version (0.3.9) of gs-common always complains about
- Use of uninitialized value in print at /var/lib/defoma/scripts/gs.defoma
The old version (0.3.7) does not do this, but the print results are the same.
-- System Information:
Debian Release: testing/unstable
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash
Kernel: Linux 18.104.22.168
Locale: LANG=en_GB.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8)
Versions of packages gs depends on:
ii gs-gpl 8.15-4.1 The GPL Ghostscript PostScript int
gs recommends no packages.
-- debconf-show failed