Re: Hibernation (suspend-to-ram) on iMac G4 with Debian Squeeze

On Fre, 2012-05-11 at 16:31 +0200, e20100633 wrote:

> I successfully installed Debian Squeeze (kernel 2.6.32-5-powerpc) on a
> iMac G4. This is my first installation of Debian on a Apple desktop
> computer. I have few question about it. The first one is about
> hibernation (suspend-to-ram). I am unable to do it at all.
>
> I'm trying to do it with pm-suspend; but the command doesn't do anything
> and return no errors (even in /var/log/{messages|syslog}). After some
> research I found that I may not have suspend-to-ram:
>
>    # echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
>    bash: echo: write error: No such device
>    # cat /sys/power/state
>    disk
>
> Plus, trying with hal-system-power-pmu return an error too:
>
>    /usr/lib/hal# ./hal-system-power-pmu sleep
>    power-pmu : PMU_IOC_SLEEP failed

This means sleep (aka suspend to RAM) is not supported on your machine.
Support for it has never been implemented for any non-laptop Apple
PowerPC machines.

Note that 'hibernation' usually refers to suspend to disk. It might be
possible to get that working, but there's probably some gotchas as well.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com