iBook G3 & Squeeze -- any hope?

I have an aging iBook G3 (600MHz, 384Mb) and I tried to install Squeeze
(using the Netinst image).

While the install went fine, on reboot I was unable to get any kind of
desktop. With the default boot there was just a grey rectangle on the
screen and a speckled bar near the bottom. Booting with video=ofonly,
the boot messages got to an error about the governor timing out[*] and
then it hung until I pressed the off switch at which point a normal shut
down followed.

The only article I've been able to track down for Squeeze on this
hardware had lots of stuff requiring OSX which I no longer have.

Does anyone have any links or advice or is the whole system a
non-starter.

TIA
	James

[*] I'll need to reinstall to get the exact message as I've currently
got Archppc on the disk but that's even worse--can't find the root partition.

| James Tappin           | School of Physics & Astronomy |  O__    |
| sjt@star.sr.bham.ac.uk | University of Birmingham      | --  \/` |
| Ph: 0121-414-6462. Fax: 0121-414-3722                  |         |