Re: anyone running a PS3

hi,

thanks for the reply!

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 07:59:12PM -0400, thegame4121982@msn.com wrote:
> Hi for some reason, kernel v2.6.26 does not boot on the PS3. Support for
> the PS3 is enabled in the Debian kernel v2.6.26 but when you install it
> and restart the system, it will not boot. I'm not sure what the problem

yes, this was my observation ;)

> is but it may be that it needs an updated version of kboot in order to
> boot into Debian using their ppc64 kernel. As far as I know, there has

i'll look into seeing if i can find more information on this...

> not been any update released for kboot since June. The latest working
> kernel version for the PS3 that I know of is v2.6.25.4. This PS3 kernel

are you referring to an upstream kernel version or a debian package?
currently the only version available in lenny/sid is 2.6.26, so i don't
have the option of using a different kernel aiui.

could you send me your kernel config, so i can compare to see if there's
something obvious changed between versions?  i've tried the same with
the two versions i have installed but the delta is large enough that
it's hard to draw conclusions (esp since many of the options/drivers
have been renamed during this period).

> may also support WAP encryption but I am not sure about this. You can now
> install Debian on your PS3 using the official Debian ppc CDs and DVDs
> from the weekly builds although it is not necessarily easy. If you want

are there other kernels available on these cd's?

> released this month. What kernel version do you have. I am using Debian
> Lenny installed from a multi-arch DVD build on sept 21 2008 with kernel
> v2.6.25.4

i have two kernels installed on the system, both from stock debian packages:
2.6.18-1-ps3pf (from the keshi.org installer) and 2.6.26-1-powerpc64 (lenny/sid)

	sean