Re: ia32 library repository

Javier Serrano Polo writes:

> I've been working in a repository to support i386 applications on amd64
> (see debian-amd64 for details, same subject). The last direction was to
> extend this to work on qemu supported archs (like powerpc). But since I
> haven't found yet any affordable way to get a powerpc or a sparc with
> lenny, that will have to wait a long time unless there's a powerpc user
> willing to help.

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

On 64-bit powerpc machines we can run 32-bit binaries with no speed
penalty (there is a very small overhead for some system calls, but
that is offset by the fact that 32-bit binaries generally get better
cache behaviour because pointers and longs are smaller).

In fact Debian on powerpc doesn't make any distinction that I am aware
of between 32-bit and 64-bit machines (other than to install a kernel
that is appropriate for the machine, of course).

Paul.