Re: USB speaker on iBook running Debian/Lenny

* Wolfgang Pfeiffer <roto@gmx.net> <
> [2008-02-21]:
>  On Sun, Feb 17 2008, at 15:46 +0100, Ennio-Sr wrote:
> > * Børge Holen <borge@arivene.net> <
> > > [2008-02-17]:
> > ----------------
> > Do you think some module is missing?
> >

>  I don't know.
>
>  I grep-ed some mildly fresh (3 or 4 weeks old) kernel sources for the
>  name of the speakers that do not work ... to no avail so far. It might
>  be helpful to know how the software on your machine recognizes the
>  name of the ext. speakers ... see below for that, please.
>
>  So what might be helpful:
>
>  *** 1:
>
>  Does sound work if you unplug the external speakers?

Yes, it does, through the headphone

>  *** 2:
>
>  What does 'dmesg' (or the various logs in /var/log/) say at the moment
>  you connect/disconnect your external usb-speakers?

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 2
usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

>  *** 3:
>
>  Output from 'lsusb' the time the ext. speakers are connected to your
>  computer - if you think it's related to these speakers?

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0d8c:0103 C-Media Electronics, Inc. Turtle Beach
                    Audio Advantage Micro
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

>  *** 3:
>
>  What kernel-version does this happen on? Did you try a very fresh
>  kernel from unstable (provided this works)?

Linux debymac 2.6.22-3-powerpc #1 Tue Nov 13 15:52:56 UTC 2007 ppc GNU/Linux

>  *** 4:
>
>  Perhaps this: your hardware ("cat /proc/cpuinfo")?

processor	: 0
cpu		: 740/750
temperature 	: 35-37 C (uncalibrated)
clock		: 299.999997MHz
revision	: 131.0 (pvr 0008 8300)
bogomips	: 33.15
timebase	: 16644884
platform	: PowerMac
machine		: PowerBook2,1
motherboard	: PowerBook2,1 MacRISC2 MacRISC Power Macintosh
detected as	: 64 (iBook (first generation))
pmac flags	: 0000000d
L2 cache	: 512K unified
pmac-generation	: NewWorld

>  *** 5:
>
>  ... What ever you think might be helpful to let us know ...

Well ... this is a very good one: while perusing 'man mplayer' I
dicovered an option I'd never used; started to play with it and finally,
putting this line in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf:

ao=alsa:noblock:device=hw=1.0

I was able to ear sound coming out of my usb speaker!!!!! ;-)

Unfortunately, other players (e.g. sound-juicer, realplayer) do not have
a similar option, AFAIK, and the usb-speaker remains mute for them.
Maybe this info can be of some utility to understand what happens?

Anyway, thanks for your help.
Reagrds,

--
[Perche' usare Win$ozz (dico io) se ..."anche uno sciocco sa farlo.    \\?//
 Fa' qualche cosa di cui non sei capace!"   (diceva Henry Miller) ]    (°|°)