Re: xkb-data with support for Mac keyboards into unstable

Hello,
On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 02:19:42AM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> I just uploaded xkb-data 0.8-13 into unstable, it
> is available at http://people.debian.org/~barbier/tmp/
> and will reach mirrors in almost a day.

I took it from your directory, as even ftp.debian.org does not have it
(yet).

> This version is very similar to 0.8-12exp4, I believe
> that it is pretty solid, but needs more polishing.
> We can discuss to change default settings and broken
> layouts, but keep in mind that since most layouts
> were unusable, people now have different habits and
> we cannot make everybody happy with default settings.

Well, no change for me, except that it does not crash X anymore :-))

So the following still needs to be done for a german ibook keyboard:

1. When pressing the key between ß? and backspace, I still get
   nothing, while I expect ' as printed on the key. With the shift
   modifier it works. This is keycode 21.

2. The AltGr-Bracket sequence is still "wrong", i.e. I would like the
   PC style version, i.e. (starting at AltGR-7) {[]}\ while I get
   (starting at AltGr-5) []|{}}\. This behaviour should be switchable.
   Also I still wonder why "}" is on AltGr-9 *and* AltGr-0.

3. AltGr-Q still produces "«" and not "@"

I am happy that you kept AltGr-Y and AltGr-X as "«" and "»".

Also several characters are on several positions, e.g. `, ~, |, «, ß,
 }. As of now, I don't see this as a problem, but maybe a general
consensus should be found regarding the AltGr-mapping.

> Please, test it, send feedback if something does not
> work or can be improved, write documentation for other
> powerpc users that could be included in xkb-data, etc.

Please let me know if you need more/other feedback.

> Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your efforts cleaning this up.

Greetings

        Helge
--
Dr. Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.           Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de