Re: d-i daily build fails when building initrd (PowerMac7,3)

On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:16:12AM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 02:20:11AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > > There is no problem with initramfs-tools, just a problem with the
> > > maintainer of the ppc port who is too quick to jump to conclusions again.
> >
> > Since the debian-installer team clearly stated that debian would be better off
> > without me, and that i was not irreplacable, i am now very curious who you are
> > speaking about :)
> >
> > I have not yet disabled the powerpc daily-builds, but there are enough people
> > who received a pegasos machine donated, including members of the
> > debian-installer team, and will be able to take this over soon i hope.
>
> I thought someone mentioned 'cooling off' or some such. Color me confused.

Sorry, but i am in a personal dire situation, caring for my mother who has
generalized cancer, and posts like franzes above are certainly not easy when
you try to cool off.

> If the d-i team does not get their act together WRT daily builds, I can
> offer to set up a 233 MHz G3 with accounts for d-i. Ditto for someone to
> build kernels.

The real problem is not the machine, they can even use an account on the IBM
donated quad-power5 at augsbourg if needed. The real issue is that there is
something wrong with how the d-i team thinks. On one part they bashed on me
over the expulsion process, and frans was quite un-comprehending and caustic,
but on the other hand they still think of me as the ppc porter, and expect me
to know all, be well informed before posting, and fix the daily builds that
occasionally get broken by other parts of the daily builds.

I am not in an emotional state right now to do any kidn of fixing, and am more
worried about finding an oxygen thank in the miami airport for thursday
afternoon than any kind of debian work. This may change in the future, but i
will probably not want to take over the d-i porter job again (unless asked
very nicely by the d-i team maybe) in any case, and will probably concentrate
on other parts of debian or something.

In any case, i think it is best for debian and the etch release process that
someone else takes the d-i powerpc porter hat for some time now. I can keep
the daily build up, and since it syncs daily from the svn, everyone else can
fix stuff there, since it is from there that it gets broken anyway :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther