Re: Power saving techniques

1) Does my PowerBook support cpu scaling? How do I enable it? Can I
even make it run at 500Mhz or so?

I think it runs at either half-speed or full speed.  You need to
enable cpufreq scaling in the kernel.
Do I have to recompile kernel?
How do I enable cpufreq scaling in the kernel?

No, one is enough.
Thanks!

2) I would really like to be able to suspend my computer.  I know
that I can't suspend to ram because Nvidia (I have Nvidia Geforce
5200go) doesn't release drivers for PPC. (at least that's what I've
been told) I'd love to be able to suspend to disk... can my
PowerBook do that?  Does it need a particular kernel?

Yes.  I don't think it was possible with kernels before 2.6.12 and
there seems to have been a regression somewhere around 2.6.15, so any
kernel from the 2.6.12-14 series should work.
Bad news...
The bad news is that you'll need a
newer kernel for wireless.
What do you mean? I don't think my airport express card is actually supported.
I have kernel 2.6.15-4

hope that helps.
Thanks!

Marco.