Re: Lost interrupt, page allocation failure, and kernel oops

On 17.03.2006, at 19:35, Michael Schmitz wrote:
Bad RAM, perhaps? Or other hardware dying?

The harddrives themselves are fine: they are less than two
months old and smartmontools' smartctl reports no errors
at all.

The BadCRC seems to indicate otherwise. Though this error should also be
logged in the disk SMART log.

Does SMART have to be "enabled" in some way for the error to
be logged? I installed smartmontools *after* the crash and did

 > smartctl -t long /dev/hde # and wait for an hour
 > smartctl -l selftest /dev/hde
 smartctl version 5.32 Copyright (C) 2002-4 Bruce Allen
 Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

 === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
 SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num Test_Description Status Remaining LifeTime (hours) LBA_of_first_error # 1 Extended offline Completed without error 00% 1617 -

(And for hdb no errors either.)

As to RAM, how can I test it? http://www.memtest86.com/ seems
to be for Intel architectures only.

I wish I knew.

I guess this need not be a linux-specific test. Checking the RAM
with TechTool from MacOS X would do the job, too, right? (Dumb
question, I know, but I want to be an the save side...)

I would also be glad for more background information: what
does a lost interrupt mean? What is a order-0 page allocation
[snip]

Thanks a lot for the explanations which helped me a lot!

Regards,
Kaspar