Re: CPU-freq and bogomips

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 07:58:09PM +0100, Ben Mueller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one year ago, there was a thread on this list (see e.g.
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2005/03/msg00826.html), that the
> frequency of the 7447A CPU should equal approximately the value of
> bogomips.

bogomips are bogus :)

My personal believe that this is due to an errate in some 7447* cpus, which
cause the BTIC to not work correctly, and is thus disabled on these
processors. This is hardly measurable in real-life situation, but it may cause
some performance hit in the thight loop used to calculate bogomips.

Friendly,

Sven Luther