Re: Filesystem Snapshot

On Monday 27 February 2006 13:46, Sammy wrote:
> I'd like to take a snapshot of the filesystem structure (merely
> contents, as if listed by an ls command) at one point in time, make
> some changes (say install an application) and then compare the
> current structure to the snapshot taken.
> I tried listing contents before/after changes and using diff but
> the results were not satisfactory.
> Any ideas?
> Thank you,
> Sammy

Hey Sammy,

you should take a look at star.
It is an archiver that can create all archive formats I can think of,
also filesystem snapshots. It can be used for incremental backups and
even restores.
And it is _very_ fast.
Just take a look at the exhaustive man page.

Patrick
--
Six pizzas a day keep the doctor away