Re: Permission for 'dev/pmu'

On Sat, Jan 08, 2005 at 07:32:32AM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Do we already have a bug against udev to have the above line per default, or
> otherwise finally fix this issue ?

There were some objections to it the last time it was mentioned. I
believe there were some questions about it being a bad idea to
make the permissions more open by default. Requesting sleep is
restricted to root anyway, but there are some other operations
that while less sensitive than sleep should still be restricted.

Just for completeness, I'll note that the PMU has very little to do
with sound or video as implied in previous posts. It's best for
people not to get more confused than already happens. For those who
are curious, the PMU is the Power Manager, and the original version
of it shipped as part of the Macintosh Portable back in 1989. Apple
even has a patent on its use as a laptop power system (US pat#5167024).

	Brad Boyer
	flar@allandria.com